History of Trinity United Methodist Church

History of Trinity Methodist Church

Beginning in 1873

Trinity Church was one among the few pioneer churches in this and surrounding communities.

A society of the Methodist Episcopal Church South was organized in Spainhour’s Schoolhouse. This church was the outgrowth of the untiring efforts of the pioneer Methodist preachers.

It was in this school that a Sunday School was organized that has continued to the present time in Trinity Church.

By the side of Hollow Road, as this road was then called, a site for our beloved church was selected and a deed for the land was given on November 3, 1879.

  • 1880 – Trinity church was dedicated. Land was given for a graveyard.
  • 1910 – the church was turned to face the road and a new front was built.
  • 1914-1918 – During World War I, the church bell was rung at 4:00 pm every evening as a signal for everyone to stop what they were doing and pray for Peace.
  • Sometime during 1933 to 1936, four Sunday School rooms were added. This was much needed and an appreciated donation.
  • 1948 – the church was remodeled. A new classroom was added. New Stained windows were installed in the sanctuary
  • 1959 – Stained Glass Windows were dedicated in December.
  • 1962 – The church needed an Education Building and the ground-breaking Service as held the first Sunday in August 1962. A well was dug and the building that was started in the fall of 1962.
  • 1963 – The building was ready for use the last Sunday in June.
    • An Open House was held August 25.
  • 1967 – This building was paid for in January. The total cost of this project was $35,992.07.
    • The church had a “Lord’s Acre” project and planted three acres of tobacco, with the money to be used to pay for the land that was purchased. This became an annual event for several years.
  • 1972 – At a church conference on March, 19, architectural plans for a new church were presented and was accepted.
  • 1973 – February 11, a ground breaking service was held for the new church building. Grading began in February and construction began in April.
    • The church began their Annual Church Supper in the spring (consisting of Country Ham/ and/or Fried Chicken with all the trimmings). This was held each year at King Elementary School. The church enjoyed the fellowship and the community enjoyed the delicious food.
    • In June a picnic shelter was built and has been used by many, many people since then.
    • October will long be remembered by the congregation and community. All services, morning and evening were utilized for the celebration of the centennial.
    • October 14 – Old Fashion Sunday was celebrated with a picnic lunch, old fashion dresses worn by many, and with covered wagon rides for the young and the young at heart.
    • October 27, an Antique Auction and Flea Market that year climaxed about 10 months of concentrated effort on the part of the congregation. It boasted everything from handmade quilts, and bonnets to horse-drawn plows, yokes, and many and varied pies, cakes, preserves, jellies, etc. The proceeds from this totaled over $7,000.  The day’s activities concluded with a Chicken Stew at 5:00 pm for the community.
  • 1974 – The last service in the old church was June 23. The first service in the new sanctuary was June 30. This service began in the old sanctuary and after a few remarks by the pastor, the members marched to the new sanctuary singing “All Hail the Power of Jesus’ Name”.
    • The construction took 16 months and a cost of $320,000. An Open House was held October 27.
  • 1975 – A consecration service for the church was held March 2, 1975.
  • 1976 – A lighted sign was placed on the church lawn in April. This was Donated by the United Methodist Men. Beside the sign is the bell from the old church.
  • 2000 – The Multipurpose Building was started as the third addition to the church. This included a new kitchen, a large fellowship hall, and downstairs new offices for the Pastor and Assistant, Sunday School Rooms, restrooms and a large area for the youth to meet.
  • 2001- This was completed and we were using this facility in February. Construction cost was approximately $900,000.
  • In 2019, we had to have major repairs done to this building at a cost of $400,000. At this time, we still have a balance due.

 

Though our context has changed many times over these 145 years, our church has a long tradition of being bold and courageous as we make faithful decision of acceptance, growth, and generosity.  We truly are a congregation rooted in faith and reach out with hearts and hands with Christ-like Compassion.